Bacolod ranked 3rd among the top ten “Next Wave Cities” of the Philippines for the best location for BPO and offshoring according to a 2010 report.
Along its highways, sugarcane plantations are a typical scene. As of 2003, 7,216 hectares of the city’s 8,560 hectares of agricultural land were still planted with sugarcane. Meantime, 915 hectares were devoted to rice, 120 hectares to assorted vegetables, 100 hectares to coconut, 43 hectares to banana and 34 hectares to corn.
According to the “Philippine Cities Competitiveness Ranking Project 2005” of Asian Institute of Management (AIM), Bacolod tops the list in terms of infrastructure, ahead of such other mid-size cities like Iligan, Calamba and General Santos. Bacolod also tops the list in terms of quality of life, ahead of such other mid-size cities like San Fernando, Baguio, Iloilo and Lipa. AIM also recognized Bacolod as one of the Top Five most competitive mid-size cities together with Batangas, Iligan, Iloilo and San Fernando.
Its presently under the leadership of Mayor Monico Fuentevella, Vice Mayor Greg Gasataya and City Representative Evelio Leonardia.
BACOLOD CITY POLICE OFFICE (BCPO) underwent a series of organizational changes and evolution in the early 1900 until the creation of the Philippine National Police in 1991. BCPO could trace its roots from the creation of Insular Constabulary during the American era which was placed under the supervision of the American Civil Governor. The newly formed unit was then commissioned to maintain peace, law and order in various provinces in the Philippines Islands. The PC, having its allegiance to the United States government, was also utilized in combating the remaining irreconcilable revolutionaries until it ended in 1906. The continued maintenance of the unit as a para-military force was prompted by the sporadic incidence of disorder and brigandage in the island.
In 1935, however, the PC was reorganized and was absorbed by the Philippine Regular Army becoming its backbone known as the Constabulary Division of the Philippine Army. The functions of the PC were then turned-over to the State Police and the reactivation of the PC into a separate organization, distinct and divorced from the Philippine Army, retaining all its original duties of maintaining peace and order and protection of life and properties. During the war era (World War II), PC Regiment were organized in several provinces that gallantly fought side-by-side with the American against the Japanese invaders. In March 1950, several years after the war, PC war merged with the Armed Forces of the Philippines. Pursuant to a Presidential Executive Order, PC was reincarnated as one of the four (4) major commands of the AFP with its main function to maintain peace and order.
In the early 1970’s. the PC aside from its responsibilities of preserving peace and order, enforcing the law, inspectional supervision over and undertake training of municipal forces, assisting civil government and semi government agencies in the accomplishment of their missions and performing home defense in rear areas, had extensive range of diversified functions that did not fall under its primary responsibilities. This was made possible either through the direction of the President, by deputation or by expressed provision of law.
In the middle of 1970’s, the independent city and municipal police forces took charge in maintaining peace and order on a local level were seen to have administrative and operational defects. In an attempt to correct the deficiencies, public safety services specifically the police, fire and jail were integrated into the then integrated National Police (INP). It had the mandate of ensuring public safety, protection of lives and properties, enforcement of laws and maintenance of peace and order in the countryside. It was given power to prevent crimes, effect the arrest of criminal offenders and provide for their detention and rehabilitation, prevent and control fire, investigate the commission of all crimes and take all necessary measures to ensure public safety. The PC aside from its mandate retained responsibility in dealing with serious crimes or cases involving far apart from one another, while the INP took charge of less serious crimes, local traffic, crime prevention and public safety in the local political subdivisions.
On August 8, 1975, the issuance of Presidential Decree 765 established the joint command structure. The emerging organization became known as the PC and the INP or the PC/INP which was originally organized into four (4) PC/INP Zones with a Provincial Command in each province. At the National Headquarters. PC/INP was then headed by the Chief, Philippine Constabulary (C, PC) and Director General, Integrated National Police (DG, INP) while the PC zones and Provincial Commanders, respectively. The four (4) PC/INP Zones were later abolish and Regional Commands were created replacing PC zones which were placed under the operational and administrative control of the chief, PC and DG, INP. PC/INP Regional Commands were then established in the 12 regional political subdivision in the country consisting of 154 provincial commands with 450 PC companies.
The Bacolod Metropolitan Police District (BMPD) came into existence by virtue of General Order 77-02 of 111 PC/INP Zone Headquarters on 11 August 1977. It was aimed at establishing a well-coordinated and national oriented law enforcement command of the INP in central area of Negros Occidental. The BMPD covers three cities and three municipalities under its jurisdictional command; Bacolod City, Bago City, Silay City, Murcia, Talisay and Pulupandan.
The BMPD has, for its headquarters, the old maternity hospital building located at Locsin street owned by a Chinese family to whom the city of Bacolod was paying a rental of P 10,000.00 monthly. The building housed the headquarters of the Bacolod Metropolitan Police District Commander and the concurrent Bacolod Police Station Commander secured a donation of two and a half hectares of lot from a philanthropist Dr. Antonio Lizares at Magsaysay road, Singcang, Bacolod City from where the Headquarters of the BCPO is located right now which was constructed in May 30, 1978 in the amount of 2 million pesos.
However, the enactment on January 29, 1991 of Republic 6975 otherwise known as “An Act Establishing the Philippine National Police Under a Reorganized Department of Interior and Local Government and for other Purpose. “basically, rendered the dissolution of PC/INP organization and gave birth to the Philippine National Police (PNP) which is national is scope and civilian in character. This paved the way to making Bacolod City Police Station under the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Command. Until such time that Bacolod City Became a High Urbanized city, Hence, the Bacolod City Police office was created/activated effective 1 July 1994 pursuant III, General Order no. 7 issued by the Philippine National Police, Regional Command 6, Camp Martin Delgado, Iloilo City Dated 08 July 1994.